Code of Conduct
Our code of conduct forms the basis of the partnership between you, your child and us as your child’s Scout Leaders.
It is intended to help make clear what we can expect from each other, setting out:
- The Scout Leaders, aims and values and what it will do for you and your child
- Parents’ and carers’ responsibilities in supporting the Scout Association
- What the Scout Leaders expects of its young people
- Specific measures and expectations during times of COVID-19 outbreak
Please read our Coronavirus Guidelines information by clicking the link below.
The Purpose of Scouting
Scouting exists to actively engage and support young people in their personal development, empowering them to make a positive contribution to society.
The Values of Scouting
As Scouts we are guided by these values:
Integrity – We act with integrity; we are honest, trustworthy and loyal.
Respect – We have self-respect and respect for others.
Care – We support others and take care of the world in which we live.
Belief – We explore our faiths, beliefs and attitudes.
Co-operation – We make a positive difference; we cooperate with others and make friends.
Our pledge to you:
As a group, we will:
- Make every reasonable effort to provide a safe physical environment for our young people.
- Value each young person as an individual and set appropriate targets for future learning.
- Encourage all young people to do their best within a challenging but supportive environment.
- Provide an interesting and enriched programme to develop and sustain a love of learning for life.
- Use a range of teaching styles to make the programme interesting and to match the different learning style of each young person.
- Keep parents informed about Scouting meetings planned for the term for their young person through updates and social media and our website.
- Provide regular updates to inform and involve parents in scouting life.
- Provide and follow clear policies and guidelines.
- Provide clear guidance and regular updates on what measures are being taken to provide protection for children, parents, staff and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that high standards of hygiene are maintained, including handwashing and sanitisation and cleaning of surfaces and contact points.
- Ensure that systems are put in place to enable social distancing to be maintained, including markings and visual guidance.
- Undertake a dynamic risk assessment process, taking account of the latest government guidance and scientific data.
- Take on board the feedback of parents, young people, and other stakeholders and constantly review the measures in place.
- Enforce the Scout Association plan, rules and guidance consistently, fairly and robustly to ensure the safety of all members of the Scouting community.
- Regularly review plans and actions to ensure they change and evolve in a sensible manner responsive to the national and local picture.
Parent, guardian or carer pledge to us:
As a parent, guardian or carer I will:
- Ensure my child arrives at the allocated time.
- Support the leaders in implementing and encouraging good behaviour.
- Make sure my child is dressed appropriately for outdoor activities.
- Work with the leaders in supporting my child’s particular needs.
- Follow the guidelines, procedures and rules for accessing the group site and facilities in order to safeguard all stakeholders.
- Ensure that I follow social distancing procedures at all times when on the scouting sites.
- Work with the section leaders to help my child understand the importance of following the rules and using good hygiene.
- Talk to the section leaders about my worries and concerns using email or by phone so they can be promptly addressed.
- Promptly collect my child from meeting area if requested to do so for reasons of health or behaviour.
- Ensure that my child does not attend meetings if they display any COVID-19 symptoms or have been in contact with anyone with COVID-19 recently and inform section leaders of any test result.
- Understand that any repeated failure to follow the scouts social distancing and safety guidelines will result in me having my access to the scouts suspended.
Young person pledge to us:
As a Beaver, Cub or Scout – I will follow the group Rules:
- We listen—we don’t interrupt
- We work hard—we do not waste our own or other’s time
- We are kind and helpful—we do not hurt anybody’s feelings
- We are gentle—we do not hurt others
- We are honest
- We look after property
- Make sure I wash my hands or use hand sanitiser when I am asked to, particularly when I have been outside or when I cough or sneeze.
- Make sure I try my best to keep two metres from other children.
- Make sure I follow the rules which have been explained to me by my Leaders
- Make sure I follow the Scout group rules and, if I do not understand anything about them, ask my leader.
- Understand that if I deliberately do not follow the rules my parents will be spoken to and could lead to not participating at meetings
Agreeing to our Code of Conduct
For each of your children please login to the Parent Portal and indicate whether you accept our code of conduct